I am looking forward to our yoga this week on:
"Note: I hope we won't need to alter our Tuesday yoga's time due to the weather. I will send you another email if we have to have a make up"
Wednesday, Feb. 18 at 6PM at BUMC
Thursday, Feb. 19 at 11:30AM at BUMC
Saturday, Feb. 21 at 9:30AM at BUMC
Sunday, Feb. 22 at 5PM at BUMC (Dinner after yoga)
Optional Meditation during the Second Week of Each Month
We just wrapped up this month's meditation sessions. We donated $28 to Our House; Thank you.
Your donation benefits Our House which provides care and education to homeless children and helps their parents to get to their feet.
Please remember to put your donation in the basket in lieu of extra fee.
Lunch and Dinner Club Dates
Lunch: Thursday, Feb. 26 after yoga around 11:45 at Ameer's at 2168 Briarcliff Road, Atlanta, GA 30329
Dinner: Sunday, Feb. 22 after yoga around 6:30 at Chateau de Saigon at 4300 Buford Hwy., NE, Atlanta, Ga 30345; 404-929-0034
Please let me know if you plan to go. Bring a friend or a family member or come by yourself.
Attached please see the February calendar.
Spice/Herb of the Month; Turmeric
- It is helpful for purifying the blood;
- It is helpful in assisting the digestion of proteins;
- It helps in cleansing liver;
- It helps with toothache and gum inflammation; rub a piece of the root on gums and place a piece or a small amount of paste on the tooth.
- It is anti inflammatory;
- it heals wounds; just make a paste with a little water and apply to the wound or just sprinkle the dry powder on the wound.
- it helps with bloating;
- It strengthens stomach;
- It has clotting agents and so it stops the bleeding; use paste on the cut or sprinkle dry powder.
- It increases blood circulation;
- It stops diarrhea;
- It helps to move kidney stones in their track and prevents gall stones.
- It alleviate coughing; make a mix of 1 cup milk with 1Tbsp. turmeric powder; take sips throughout the day.
- It strengthen immunity.
- It relieves inflammation of the tonsils and congestion in the throat.
- It also works for the stopping of nosebleeds, helps clear sinuses, restore a more acute sense of smell, and helps purify the brain and mind. Put a pinch of sea salt and large pinch of turmeric in Netti Pot.
- put turmeric in bath water to soften the skin and kill germs.
- Clean veggies and fruit in water with a little vinegar and about ½ Tbsp. turmeric to get rid of germs.
_ Spread a combo of turmeric with white sesame oil on sprains and swellings.
- Put dry turmeric on a cut, scrape, rash or skin irritation to stop the bleeding, disinfect it and prevent scarring.
- Put turmeric over diabetic sores to aid healing.
One easy way to include turmeric to your diet is to add it to the onion and/or garlic when the recipe asks for sauteed onion and/or garlic. As you add the chopped onion and garlic to the oil in the skillet, sprinkle about 1tsp. turmeric over the onion and/or garlic.
To make tea, bring 4 cups of water to boil and add 2" of fresh ginger root(peeled and cut to pieces); 1 tsp. cumin seeds, 1 tsp. coriander seeds, 1 tsp. turmeric and a pinch of fennel. Reduce heat and summer uncovered for 10 minutes.
For Liver cleansing, bring 1 cup of water to boil, squeeze into it 1/2 fresh lemon and stir in 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric. Drink it in the morning after you had a glass of water.
For digestive cleansing tea, bring to boil 5 cups of water; add 1Tbsp. fresh grated ginger root, 1Tbsp. turmeric and 1Tbsp. dried licorice root. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Strain and drink.
You may know that in the old time, turmeric was used to dye fabrics and rugs. So be aware that it may color your cooking utensils. Most of the times, the color comes off the surfaces with soapy water. Using a little bleach on persistent stains will do the trick.
"True happiness is... to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future." Lucius Annaeus Seneca